With the massive global expansion of e-commerce in the last few years, effective dock scheduling is more crucial than ever. A dynamic scheduling system remains critical for the ongoing improvement of the e-commerce market. Scheduling and organizational tools will help secure the future of the transportation market for dock managers, drivers, carriers, and customers. By doing so, it allows supervisors and directors to future-proof their dock management practices and systems.
Why a Rigid Dock Scheduling Fails
Without the assistance provided by updated software and logistics, the traditional dock scheduling protocols tend to fail. The lack of data sharing and consolidation can result in issues with scheduling and adaptability. Without flexible and scalable scheduling procedures in place, docks remain unorganized and are more likely to suffer from delays and disruptions throughout the supply chain. Outdated docking systems are susceptible to massive cost increases and fees and other non-budgeted expenses.
Specifically, the average cost of dwell time at the origin is just shy of $15, while dwell time at the destination can cost $30 or more. Without the right system in place and disorganization impacting the dock, many carriers cannot make good on their arrival time promises. This creates chaos for all areas of the supply chain. This also creates a ripple effect along with other carriers and can create tension with other parties and vendors. The traditional dock scheduling does not allow a look in real-time, creating an opportunity for error; this is where dynamic dock management systems become a vital tool for any management team.
What Does the Right Software Mean to Freight Management Parties
The right software for dock scheduling could mean the difference between profitability and receiving shipper-of-choice for shippers. The best and most dynamic software means being part of the boom of e-commerce. For freight management and outbound and inbound dock scheduling managers, this is shaping up to be the most lucrative year yet.
The exponential growth from the pandemic will continue to trend upward and make available scheduling essential for growth. The right software can help experts plan accordingly as they go into the future of freight. A dynamic dock schedule will be the key to success as it consolidates the portals to show real-time data. This looks at warehouse management, efficiency, and profitability.
5 Tips to Future Proof Dock Schedule
Future-proofing the scheduling system will create a precedent for years to come for freight managers. Brokers need to know they invested in a profitable, sustainable business. There are many ways to assist this process.
- Consolidate inbound freight to FTL. Try to limit truckloads to only full truck loads. Eliminating deadhead miles will keep trucks full and on the move so they can continue to maximize per-load profits.
- Integrate software platforms with dock scheduling software to maximize data sharing and visibility. Integrating software platforms will provide insight from start to finish to eliminate errors created by human error and lack of information or insight.
- Continuous auditing to assist with forecasting. Auditing is an essential function for management to identify the areas losing the most money. Monitoring supply chain performance with real-time data and tracking is critical for accurate auditing and forecasting.
- Put information to use in your favor. It is not enough to just obtain the data; it must be analyzed and applied effectively and practically. Emerging technology and tools make this more accessible than ever to achieve.
- Enhance capacity and inventory management. This is made more accessible by integrating the software platforms because it will update in real-time. It is not foolproof, but it will drastically reduce the occurrence of errors and disruptions.
Enhance Your Dock Scheduling and Secure Your Freight Network With the Right Software Partner
Dock scheduling helps to secure the dynamic freight network when the right software partner is brought onboard. Not using them appropriately and failing to utilize their services is a massive disservice to you and your business. Continue improving dock management and scheduling processes by updating platforms and keeping your partnerships aligned with market trends. That is the best way to keep your docking system future-proof. Request a C3 Solutions demo to get started today.